View Single Post
Some more questions
Old
  (#1)
the bindlestiff

Default Some more questions - 24-11-2005

I've got some more questions (will they ever end??):

#1: What causes a player to be "Team killed by the server host?"

#2: Looking at the console log while researching problem #3, I noticed several instances during bot loading where the message "CAN'T ADD BOT: BOT FILE DOESN'T EXIST" occurs. But the bot IS loaded and functions normally in the game. This is for a few of the bot definition files that came with the 0.51 download. I checked the files for typos but found nothing.
Que pasa?

#3. I mentioned this in a previous post: at random times the bot files will fail to load when starting a game. It matters not whether I use the command line, Main Menu, or console to start the game. It can occur in the middle of a gaming session when a map is changed as well as when starting up.

I saved the console logs from two instances running the "Norway" map, one with bots and one without, hoping to find the reason, but found nothing that I can pin it on.

The logs are identical through the path listings, GL setups, sound scripts and map component loading. Normally, two lines after the "Node Editor DISABLED" message, the bot cfg file is exec'ed and the bots load. But in the situation where the bots don't get loaded, the "EXECING CONFIGS/MP_NORWAY_BOTS" is just plain missing. No error message, no nothing. Note that the filename is missing the .cfg extension.

I CAN manually exec the _bot.cfg file from the console when they don't load automatically.

There are a few small differences in "UI menu load time" and the "CL_InitGame" time between the two cases.

For both cases, the next time "Loading Fritzbot" occurs, the "CONFIGS/MP_NORWAY.CFG" is exec'ed and the game immediately begins. If a second round of the game is played, this exec command is repeated twice in succession for some reason. Note that the .cfg extension appears this time. Note also that a forward slash is used instead of the customary backslash in the path names.

I don't know what this all means, but those are all the differences that I could detect -- it'll take someone more familiar with the way the games are loaded to figure it out.

Can any of you smart fellas figure this out?

After you've had your Thanksgiving dinner, of course!