View Single Post
Re: Preview of some Fritz related things.....
Old
  (#8)
Maleficus

Default Re: Preview of some Fritz related things..... - 22-06-2004

Raw SDK, tho I used a fellow Q3 coder's (name is fretn) bot spawning code as a rough guide to get the bots to be able to spawn into RTCW. I worked on Fritz alone, tho I did get help from time to time from other coders in the Q3 community (like fretn). If you check out the fritz.doc that I put up above, you'll see I credit the people who helped out and what they did.

I didn't like the way fretn spawned bots into RTCW tho - he treated his bots like an entity (used think, nextthink and everything) I don't like to "fake" that the bot is a client like that - makes things difficult, and your constantly worrying about whether the bot looks human while its doing something.

Fritz IS a client to the game, he can't do anything a client can't. THAT took quite a while to figure out how to do!

It took me quite a few weeks to get bots to spawn into the game without timing out, or crashing - then the REAL trick was getting them to stay in the maps when the map restarted. Fretn used a trick where he'd kick them, then re-add them the next round. I don't - Fritz actually stays in the game like a client (or in this case - a bot ).

I've been kicking the idea around of making a bot template like botman did, but completely stripped of A.I. - for the RTCW community, just enough code to get them into the game and working like clients, and let people take it from there.

Don't know tho, I'm so busy ATM.....

Dum Spiro Spero

Last edited by Maleficus; 22-06-2004 at 12:56..