View Single Post
Re: Anyone remember Bot Epidemic?
Old
  (#5)
zeee0

Default Re: Anyone remember Bot Epidemic? - 29-03-2013

Of course I remember Bot Epidemic, I used to webmaster it.

Yes, I am that ze0, or zeee0 as it were (username had to be more than 3 characters). I too was very sad to see it go, what happened was that Marv (of Telefragged) who was in charge of registering the domains for sites affiliated with Telefragged, neglected to renew the registration on the domain botepidemic.com and with that it died. I am glad that someone has put up a mirror - I intended to do that for a while, as I had a complete archive of the site on a hard disk, and was going to bring it back under a different name (botepidemic.net, or something like that), but real life took over and I never got around to it.

These days as everyone has mentioned it is all so different and the demand for bots is almost non existent in FPS games. Unfortunately, I am no longer in the scene, though I do show my face in #qc on IRC from time to time, just to say "Hi!".

Nice to see people remember the site, especially you celtic88! It is a shame that era is long gone, Bot Epidemic was pulling something like 400,000 unique page views per month, and in those days the UGO banners were pay per click, so I think Marv/Telefragged was/were making a pretty little penny from all of our volunteer work.

Most of the folks from around that time ended up working in the game industry, not surprisingly. Anyway, feel free to e-mail me at ash.reynolds87@gmail.com if you end up reading this any of you old'schoolers.

Oh, and by the way I still play QuakeWorld competitively online (in Australia) and there is still a relatively large number of players that frequent the servers here and in Europe especially. Since broadband has now become the norm, bots have really become redundant, as we don't have to try and struggle with 400ms pings on 56k modems to play QuakeWorld online.

Cheers,

ze0.