Re: The patched Third Release comments thread
Old
  (#24)
Maleficus

Default Re: The patched Third Release comments thread - 11-03-2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny
Hey Mal, i had another weird encounter.
Hmm. Were you playing stopwatch? Because I don't understand how Ghost would have been on the axis team unless you were in stopwatch mode.

TBH - I haven't really tested Stopwatch mode at all. But, off the top of my head, I'm wondering about something: there is some info about the bots team/class/etc info that are saved off into the bots internal code and are referenced all over the place.

I'm wondering if that isn't the problem - in the bot's mind its still allies (since Ghost WAS spawned into the server as allies), so he SOMETIMES thinks its cool to shoot axis, and when the next round starts and he goes back to allies, there isn't any problems.

If thats the case, I'm going to have to look at this in the next version and rethink how I handle some of the bot's info internally. I'm sorry: stopwatch isn't a mode I play, so I never really looked at it or how it might affect the bot, but its something I can fix.

In the meantime, I'd just recommend playing normal OBJ mode. :-/

If thats not the case, then I don't know what to say - the whole reason for a bot like Fritz is much like PrestonKh said: they aren't lame, don't cheat/bitch/whine/hack/TK/etc. I'd never want Fritz doing those things.

I want to simulate INTELLIGENT human players, not lamers.

PrestonKh:

Good to hear you have an interest in AI.

I've studied AI on my own time for years. At first it was academic AI and its various applications, but in the last 5-6 years, its been game AI, which I find to be much more fun and rewarding.

If you really want to get started with AI, you don't have to wait for college - just experiment on your own with a game. Take a simple game like Quake2. A game that has some very basic AI in it already, that you have complete access to the code, and can easily find a TON of tutorials and examples on the 'Net to learn from. Quake2 had a LOAD of community bots, many of which became open source, and are great tools to learn from.

Thats what I did - I started out with Quake 1 actually, and wrote my first bot, learning how to intergrate it into the game, how to simulate a human, etc, way back in the day.

It will take you some time, probably months, maybe even years, before you have anything you can show off, but you'll have a LOT of fun in the process.

btw: don't worry - DEPOT will be coming. In fact, Depot will probably be the only map that I'll be taking a personal interest in its path file creation, and whoever paths for it, I'm sure I'll be bugging them with suggestions.

Dum Spiro Spero

Last edited by Maleficus; 11-03-2005 at 10:34..