View Single Post
Re: Interesting update to CS today
Old
  (#22)
Onno Kreuzinger
aka: memed / Server Admin

Default Re: Interesting update to CS today - 13-02-2004

Well, the 2nd qouted response is acctually pointing it out:
yes Valve does not guarantee 3rd party stuff, they have no contract to do so, but viewing valve forum and the release comment (.. bot should work now) i conclude 2 things (sry botman):

- they talk before knowing (eh bots where broken by this, the bot coders fixes for that fakeclient stuff is known for ages, they did not know about what they did and when they did so (B.U. is/was running RB for 1 month)
- a lot of COMMERCIAL customers are pissed (rental server ops shut down 1.6 server because no bots and mods, no customers on the server)

and this is not good in comercial terms, when MS would break office integration of lotus notes, hell would freeze (inkl. the german MS support dept).

I thing it's ok to rant on their lists, they use CS playerminutes and comunity intheir marketing so we can get pissed when they "lie" (say blantly wrong things) and the comunity runns into our forum and complains "eh _they_(Valve) fixed why did _you_(B.U, coders) broke it ?"...

So we knocked on the door they slamed, using our foot, but we knocked and did not kick, and did have good reason (see the RB forum it's crowded with people pissed about that ".. work again", and it's stefans forum and spare time ....).

i'd suggest making an Agora document/post (perhaps one like a wikki, each one shall edit and comment, to speed the process up) to find some common ground to present to valve as our point of view and intentions for our (your *g*) bot/mod coding. This shoudl make clear our side not what we want from them, so they can make up their mind if the want to support 3rd party stuff or not.

memed

[personal thought: i think one tactic could be to push them to decide: with us or against us; no middle way on our shoulders]

Last edited by Onno Kreuzinger; 13-02-2004 at 17:56..