Thread: Recast / Detour
View Single Post
Re: Recast / Detour
Old
  (#61)
Neoptolemus

Default Re: Recast / Detour - 09-10-2015

Just a quick update. I've decided to take a different approach. I'm going to modify the existing recast demo tool (the one I linked to earlier, either in this post or the one in the HPB bot forum) so that it parses BSP files instead of OBJs, and have it retain useful information like entity positions and so on.

This will give me much greater flexibility when debugging paths and so on, as it will allow me to easily visualise the entire navmesh as it's generated, and conveniently mark data points without having to run the game and write some finicky code to draw it all within the game itself.

I eventually envisage being able to load a BSP into the application, and see the simplified level geometry and navmesh, but also all the extra bits it's generated such as door points, ladder points, hostage locations, sniper positions, cover locations and so on. I'll store this inside the navmesh itself so that it is part of the Recast library rather than the demo app, which will be purely for visualisation only.

In theory, I can perfect the generation of the navmesh and pathfinding within the application, then simply migrate the library over to the bot itself and hook it up.