Thread: Quake Live
View Single Post
Re: Quake Live
Old
  (#9)
Whistler
Summoner

Default Re: Quake Live - 28-12-2009

from the interview here it seems maleficus has a bit of work with the quakelive bots
Quote:
Sal 'Sluggo' Accardo: Will Quake Live also include bots for people who want to get in and practice on their own?

Marty Stratton: Yes, there are bots. Our interface for joining a game is divided between two tabs. One shows you online games, presented as thumbnails where you can filter out games -- they'll always be presented with the best quality in mind, games happening at your skill level, with the lowest ping, and if you have friends in those games, they'll bubble up to the top, and you can narrow your search by all the different factors -- friends, or just free-for-all, those types of things.

And then you can go and practice against all of the bots in any of the arenas. John Dean, who's kind of our resident AI programmer, spent some time and added some functionality to the bots, where they actually dynamically scale their skill based on your skill. That's actually how we do the initial warmup match: We have a bot that scales their skill to you, and then we set your initial skill ranking based on that. But then you can go in and play against those same bots and choose the setting that says "keep it close" and the bot will adjust based on how well you do. Believe me, he's tuned them up a little bit where they can just hammer you.

John Carmack: The bots are one of the few areas inside the game where some programming resources have been expended. We hired John Dean for Enemy Territory development work, and he has done some really useful work on this project.
however I have to say the bots while being good in deathmatch, don't perform very well in a CTF game. Basically the problems in the original Q3A/Q3TA still exists (such as I can get the enemy flag and carry them back to base by rushing without a single fire, and if I'm lucky I can do this with high skilled bots - which is very unlikely with real players), plus sometimes for some weird reason the bots just keep fighting and fighting without heading to base when got the enemy flag (AFAIK this didn't happen in the original) :p

Last edited by Whistler; 28-12-2009 at 16:47..