View Single Post
Re: intel_center waypoints
Old
  (#7)
TomTom
ET Waypointing team member

Default Re: intel_center waypoints - 20-04-2008

Yes but I/we normally use goal 0 on the event_explodes since they are one time only and we do not depend on an activateaction_group 0. Because of the rare if_action.. goal -1 bug, the event_explode is safe BECAUSE it can be action_goal 0, action_active 1 and sit in whatever action_group that never gets disabled (e.g. 0). In your case a couple of the event explodes are goal -1, and then activated by the aiscript default block. Safe only so long as no if_action_... 113 occurs before that activate.

Anyway mea culpa when I first started I stuck to activating group 0 as part of a debug strategy until CrapShoot explained a number of goal tracker issues to me. Since then I have left group 0 out of the aiscript and use it for goal zero activated or individually activate/deactivate actions only. I kept groups 1-3 for debug and generally have the first stage of actions in group 5 always, some of which are goal 0 and some of which are activated by an activateAction_group 5 a few seconds into the game in the default block. Opposing team gets group 6 if needed, and the next stage gets group 7 and so on. Then anything else gets high numbered action groups. I find by sticking to this style I can look back at any of my later waypoints and guess at what the group is for.

Hopefully when I get through re-writing Denny's tutorial there will be less confusion

P.S. I am not saying you should follow my numbering, You could make group 1 your stage 1 group and group 11 stage one for the opposing team or whatever. But I am saying that defining a grouping style will help you in the long term. And use action_goal 0 for anything that can be left on from the start, like most aim actions, most alt-roams, and ALL event_explodes, event_expires.