View Single Post
Re: United Bot philosophy and roadmap.
Old
  (#73)
Maleficus

Default Re: United Bot philosophy and roadmap. - 06-07-2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by botman
I was going to investigate how much was possible with Quake III as far as replacing the bot code with your own code....... but I do remember that all Quake II MODs had to be written in Quake C...... I know that with Quake III, DLL file support was added, but I'm not sure if MOD makers would create their own DLLs or if they were still limited to Quake C for their MOD source code.
Only QuakeI used QuakeC. QuakeII and QuakeIII were plain C and used .dlls (Quake III could also use .qvm which was an opcode based virtual machine that was still coded in C, but was safer than running a .dll).

Its really easy to replace the Q3 bot AI with your own - I already wrote a framework that did this in Q3, which I later converted for RtCW, which became the Fritz Bot.

Since RtCW is based on the Q3 engine, it was really easy to do.

The only active q3 bot I know of is the Art of War bot for Q3 - its quite good: http://www.planetquake.com/artofwar
It isn't a "from scratch" bot tho, they just improved the Q3 bot AI. They were supposed to release source for it, but they never did.

They have been other custom bots (Clockbot, TangetBot, Battlebots, etc), but they all died. Having an official bot in the game really put a damper on the communities willingness to try out a new bot. And most people just didn't care. :'(

PMB: if your looking for another engine, Q3 (or perhaps Doom3) would be a really good choice! I myself am really looking at Doom3. The game itself will probably be pretty flat, but knowing id software, it will be VERY moddable and the possibilities will be limitless! And theres going to be a whole new generation of games based on it once its released (now that Q3 is getting long in the tooth).

I can't promise I can help out with the design itself, but I can be a source of info for the Quake series of games, and their offshoots, and probably Doom3 (which will use C++) too when it comes out (I've been programming/modding id games since Quake1).

Dum Spiro Spero

Last edited by Maleficus; 06-07-2004 at 11:05..