3rd Party Bot for CSS? Why?
Old
  (#1)
Krillin

Warning 3rd Party Bot for CSS? Why? - 23-07-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan
July 13th, 2008 .::[RCBot]::.

Since Half-life 2, or better said, Counter-Strike Source came out. People asked me if i would create a bot for it. At first i'd say "YES!" , but later I discovered that it is not that easy, and that other things asked more time from me then i'd imagined. In fact, i still lack a lot of time, but sometimes i just create time for RealBot related stuff these days.

Writing a bot for CSS is not easy. In fact, nobody did it before, it is still impossible for a third-party-bot developer to write a decent bot. However, one bot caught my eye as a platform to develop on. I mean, even though nobody did it before it does not mean nobody tried. RCBot did a good try, and the sad thing now, is that the bots don't spawn anymore. They surely did half a year ago (when it was released), but somehow the guys at Valve changed somehting, and the bot stopped working.

That will always be the sad side of the story for bot developers, the engine might change the rules and you'll have to fix it. But, for CSS not bot has been able to be really smart. I've already told you why, it is about weapon information for starters.
So why am i telling this, well i got the RCBot source compiled, it runs, and now i am eager to fix some bugs to make them run around in CSS again. Later i might find a way ( there are some unofficial ways) to get the weapon information and then there might be a third-party css bot possible.Who knows?

This is very true, since day one, Counter-Strike: Source is just like Condition-Zero, they have a built-in AI in this engine. And if you know what you are doing, you can make the bots, Babbie-Like, Easy, Medium or Very Hard. Not sure what is going to happen to the HL2 Source Engine when it is ported over to ORANGE-Box.

Just makes me wonder where I am spending my money.

Krillin

Serving Players Since 1997

www.KRILLINSWORLD.com