Thread: Some musings
View Single Post
Some musings
Old
  (#1)
the bindlestiff

Default Some musings - 18-11-2005

I haven't been playing too long, but have a few thoughts about Fritzbot.

It seems to me that the bot should emulate the actions of a human as closely as possible. For the most part they seem to that remarkedly well. But I am bothered by the height of their jumps, which go as high as their body height, if not more. Makes their actions look more like something out of a sci-fi movie instead of WW2. And they are accurately shooting while they're in the air! Is it possible to subdue this factor or is it necessary to enable the bots to navigate the broken landscapes found in the maps?

Sometimes there will be several bots jumping up and down as if they are on trampolines, making enormous jumps out of multi-story buildings without apparent injury. Makes one think of the old silent Keystone Cops movies.

The Lumber Factory map layout is a small, enclosed courtyard surrounded by 2-story buildings with only three checkpoints. This is an ideal scenario for small stealthy teams of two bots or players on each side. But the map as currently set up is loaded with bots, all running around at full speed making loud trampling noises as they do it. Do bots ever walk or try to be sneaky?

In Destruction, control of the central courtyard is essential to winning the game. The machine gun nests make it possible to attain this control. I've never seen a bot use a heavy machine gun nest. So we human players can take advantage of that and usually win the game. If the enemy bots used the machine gun nests, it would make for a more realistic scenario.

It seems to my unpractised eye that the bots, even at the EASY skill and aiming level, are much better than I am. I ofter encounter an enemy bot so far away that my aiming dot almost completely covers him, while at the same time he is accurately making hits on me. And I can hardly see him well enough to tell where my shots are going. Am I being paranoid aobut this?

All-in-all, I and my buddy are really enjoying being able to play on the same team against the Fritzbots as we begin to develop our gaming skills enough to be able to play with other real human opponents. GOOD JOB to you all!