Re: United Bot philosophy and roadmap.
Old
  (#9)
botmeister
Ex-Council Member

Default Re: United Bot philosophy and roadmap. - 08-04-2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyCoolSlug
Ok, this might sound a bit stupid, but surely we want bots to be as fast as possible, i understand that using I/O may be the only solution, but maybe we should find a way to let a plugin decide what the best way to do it is..
Agreed, but it would not be the plugin to decide, it would be the driver that sits between the UB and the game engine that decides what method to use (normally the best method that is available).

"faster than necessary" is not only unnecessary but may create redundant overhead which translates into more lag. You have to realize what I mean by "reaction times" vs processing time. These are two separate things. You will want the lowest possible processing time in most situations, but reaction times need only be as fast as required to get a bot to perform adequately against human players.

Quote:
The engine would have all the avaliable options avalaible, then the plugin decide which one to use? Making it more 'game specific'. and unless you want to hinder bot performance over all games, this is the only solution that i can think of which will happily work for all.
The disk I/O concept would be the lowest common denomonator across game engines assuming it can even work, and assuming no one can come up with anything better. For example, games that use the HL engine will have far better options due to the availablity of the SDK.

Maker of the (mEAn) Bot.Admin Manager

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." - Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut