View Single Post
Re: Quake II Full Build all setup for .NET
Old
  (#14)
@$3.1415rin
Council Member, Author of JoeBOT

Default Re: Quake II Full Build all setup for .NET - 12-05-2004

one cannot really compare them. you cannot really do OO stuff with C. Pierre was talking about clarity of code and structure in C ... well, I'd say that this is even more crucial in C++, in OO languages in general. all those books on class design havnt been written just to make money, that's just a hard topic. I'm not talking about stefan's method, just using C++ to limited the scope of some variables, mainly just putting the old C structures into classes, translating structs to classes. I did this in old JoeBOT, and well, you can somewhen save some time coding, since you can benefit of inheritance and such, but this isnt clearly the intention of C++.
For example the current JoeBOT XP, where you might have read the pdf documentation draft. There I can really take advantage of C++ capabilities. take for example the perception system. A squad has some sort of perception, as does the bot. so I can write a base class for perception and then used derived classes for the perception for both, different, still different tasks. The same for the goalfinder which can just be plugged into the bot as well as into the squad. This'd be quite difficult using C. Or the 'interesting entities' system the perception is based on ...
Before actually coding I made scetches of those classes for about 2 month ... well, a lot of paper got wasted, but finally I think it's working pretty well and the code is relatively compact.

in both languages you can write shit, no question. but I dunno if the advantages of C++ really are seen by pmb here e.g.

@trub: for constructs, well, the belong to C and C is a subset of C++. the for loops are not really a oo oriented concept, therefore they might not be explained in the C++ bool ...

C++ takes time. maybe just read a book about it to get to know about the capabilities of that language. somewhen you might remember and use that very feature. I read once upon a time about virtual base classes, the exmaples where fine, but well, in "real life" programming I never saw the reason to use them. After some years of coding I then saw a good possibility to use this feature in JoeBOT XP ... knowing and using are two different pairs of shoes