View Single Post
Re: Navigation using AABB
Old
  (#8)
Neoptolemus

Default Re: Navigation using AABB - 21-03-2017

Success! Swimming is now in. I created my own little obstacle course to see if the pathfinding could figure out how to get there, and it caused some weird crashes with free() which never happened in any other map. That's now fixed.

Here are the results:

1) AI jumps up some crates, runs along the overhanging beam and then jumps down into the tank of water. It is smart enough to know that it can fall from a much greater height into water than it would if it was landing on solid ground

2) It swims to the bottom of the tank, then swims through the tunnel and up the other end

3) Finally it climbs out of the water, jumps into the vent and reaches the destination!

Remember that this is not using ANY waypoints or human hints. It is 100% calculated using just the geometry it extracts from the BSP file. I'm genuinely surprised how effective it seems to be.

There are a couple of outstanding things to work on:

1) Avoid hugging the edges too closely
2) Path smoothing to avoid unnecessary "kinks" in the route it takes
3) Create connections between non-adjacent sectors (to handle jumping over gaps, flying etc)

I will probably look at handling 1 and 2 in the testing tool, and when I'm happy I will migrate the code to the bot itself and start actually seeing the pathfinding in action