Old
  (#8)
Onno Kreuzinger
aka: memed / Server Admin

Default Webserver SUMMER TIME - 03-06-2007

np, this time I boke it
I fix it

Okay I must now confess:

The whole Webserver/Mail/DB and Plesk-Admin-CP have been moved into a virtual enviroment, phisicaly this is thill the same server, but the whole OS (debian 3.1), Webserver and Sites, Plesk 8.1.1 (that is qmail, spamassasin, admin tools) and the db (now mysql 4.1 instead of 4.0)
are running in a Open-Virtuozzo VE (see http://openvz.org).

Before I will try answer why, I have to mention the easy of installation of OpenVZ, Debian-VE, Plesk inside of that and the move of all plesk managed stuff from server-one.de to the new VE (www100.server-one.de).
All was done the debian way, all packages are "ment for production use", the system ways backed up about 9 times during the process, the total "full" downtime was about 4,5 hours. During the prepareations (after the HW issues had been resolved) the server had been sluggish for 4 days, the apache server was reduced to less allowed clients resulting in reduced availability to users.
During the reinstallation of debian/plesk 8.1.1 mysql version was changed to 4.1 w/o further notice, this lead to the only problems so far. Since mysql 4-1 preferes innodb two databases had lost some tables/files.

** in case you have websites missing db tables/files/files please contact me **
** I can fix it in an instant, but I can not see the problem my self **
** files are there, but expected data type is wrong **

Why:
One mayor reason for doing this was the fact that spamassassin ate roughly 1.2 gb of ram, making the other services suffer more and more.
We learned, that spamassasin will grow in mem usage over the months, because the patterns and learned rules get fragm,ented and bloated. This is usually cleaned up by SA updates, but a plesk controlled SA does get only updates, and no cleanup commands. This wont happen again :

On the other hand the HW issues reminded us, that having a real good hot standby would be cool, and since I work with the commercial Virtuozzo for 3,5 years, I know it is made for linux webservers (and plesk is by the same company and integrates very well) and it is the only virtuallisation software giving you countable gain in cpu power, w/o wasting ram or slowing down I/O.
I know it is "only a better jail/(chroot)", but that is exactly what it is, it's better that jails, more powerfull than virtual-pc emulators and as easy to maintain as a normal application.
4 commands to generate, preconfigure and start a virtual enviroment, 0 (zero/nada) steps for network-set up , if routable IP's are used.
Firewall and private IP's are as easy to setup as iptables is. With a (included) guide you need 4 rules to have a service running on a private IP inside a VE offered to a public port by DNAT

I also"tuned" mysql, apache (allows now 30% more users than previously) and spamassasin, the system now gives you a 40% reduced answer time for the most complex website (according to mysql-slow queries log).
SA processing time went down from avrg. 21 seconds to 1.2 seconds.

I case people are interessted, I can open a wiki page for the server stuff or simply explain mire here

TODO:
IRC stuff will be avail soon
Kode, can you please contact me, since I had problems reconstructing your need from the services running on server-two previously. (IRC was not moved, no ICR port should be mapped to the new system)

Problems:

contact me, ICQ is fine, mail too:
onno@kreuzinger.com, please have a meaningfull subject, because I use strict spam filtering on that address, its imposed by my boss
And when I walk though the positive matches, I look over "Hi!" subjects very fast

Cheers Onno

sunny morning view from my balcony:

see our WIKI!
see our filebase!