View Single Post
Re: darji2 waypoints
Old
  (#16)
TomTom
ET Waypointing team member

Default Re: darji2 waypoints - 27-04-2008

(1) certainly a bot at a delivery is waiting for the flag status change. So it is best used in a hiding spot. I still think you could make use of fake deliveries but limit the time they are active. The reason would be principally for having a deterministic action for routing the second carrier on if he does a pickup at the original flag steal location and to get the carrier functionally-near the truck area. Then use a wait T deactivateAction_group X to disable the fake delivery before he gets all the way. Now if the carrier was nearer when the fake delivery turned on then he will 'hide' with a same group medic support camp nearby. The logical place I guess for the fake delivery is near the team spawn since he can get health and ammo when his chums spawn and can teleport quickly to the deliver point. At least that is how I would play it as a human if I could not call for a partner.

(2) No you are seeing or drinking something weird. The only odd thing I ever saw about class restriction was the wrong class using an alt-roam when no alt-roam existed for that class. Something I should investigate more.

(3) Bots do not use waypoints for close things they can see (<500? or maybe less) like health packs, wounded pals, dropped flags. But if further away then they do use waypoints so some cross connections are always necessary. Actions must be close enough (<500) to their closenodes, but bots do not take short cuts for actions in view. That way objective actions are approached properly.

(4) not certain what you are referring to. The jumping behavior sound like they have chosen their next node one below them. Under some circumstances bots will randomly chose a nearby node. This is related to time-out behavior I think. That way a bot that gets stuck will timeout and try a different node to start from in its vicinity.

(5) Got around to playing the previous waypoints instead of just watching, highly challenging I must say. I wonder though how it compares to human play. If you can find a few humans to try it out in a mixed bot/human teams you could compare. Any volunteers to host an internet game, anyone? Enigma1 is doing some really good work here.

The one thing though I found unsatisfactory was the botsight. 5000 is way way too high. I was getting shot and killed at from pistols and mgs without being able to see anybody. It reminded me of old bobots where every map they had an equivalent botsight of 4000. Since bots turn and scan better than humans it is best not to let them see too far unaided. I measured the distances in the map and could only find 2 very narrow spots over 2500. So I tried botsight 2500 and it was still very challenging but not ridiculous. Finally I tried 2200 a more normal value and found that felt the most comfortable.