View Single Post
Re: Some screenshots from me.
Old
  (#9)
Zacker
Project Leader, Lead Level Designer, Waypointer

Default Re: Some screenshots from me. - 22-05-2004

Better late than never, sorry for the delay.

Quote:
Ah... another mod! Tell me more about it... what are the main differences to other mods like CS, TS etc.?
Not really a lot The gameplay is about controlling points in the maps. Each map has 4-6 flags which you need to capture all of in order to get any points.
Overall the mod is far from unique. If you know CS, HL, ToD, DoD, Q3, UT or any other fps you will feel comfortable.

Quote:
Well, IMHO, such a loooong wall looks way better if there is something like a roof, a little tower or even merlons or something...
You cant see it from that angle, but there is actually a 2k-3k units high pyramid behind it.

Quote:
Isn't it possible to convert FA or CS weapons to Sow? I mean, there are some really awesome CS custom weapon models around...
SoW already share way too many things with other mods

Prrrhrhhr PMB, that will take me hours to reply to, thanks!
Quote:
The tower on the left has eyes painted on it that may be here to recall the architecturial style of aztec/maya constructions.
Its supposed to be egyptian, or at least middle east. The eyes are taken from an egypt texture pack.

Quote:
First because all the precolumbian architecture is made of cementless walls of large blocks of stone, which weight a lot. It is impossible to have them in such a tower where the 4 pillars would be utterly insufficient to support the weight.
The stone is hallowed out. Originally it was built as a wath tower, hence the eyes on the sides. You could climb up inside it and have a good view over great distances through the eyes.
Its long time ago, so the ladder is gone

Quote:
Second because this type of tower simply does not exist in precolumbian architecture. The exact same thing applies for middle-east architecture in case I understood wrong.
I dont think many gamers care if it existed or not? Then they could also start whining about catucs` not existing in the middle east.

Quote:
That very dodgy ground indicates a strong influence of winds to move sands around in dunes. In this case it is impossible for a palm to stand in such an environment. Palms are found in oasises only, and/or on solid ground. Never on sand.
The appearence of cliffs and buildings neaby protects it from the wind.

Quote:
That type of canopy always supports a candle or a brasero. It has no other use in ancient architecture. Eventually for a shelf, or supporting a statue, but in this case it would be much closer to the ground.
Yeah, I should add something above it.

Quote:
You only find these types of roofs in mountain environments where the winters are cold and icy.
I live in Denmark and all roofs are bent here. The highest mountain in my country is 250 meters and there might be a bit of snow in winters
Bent roofs are primary used to prevent the rain from going in the houses here. Rooms beneath flat roofs are really hard to keep dry. My dad is a carpenter

Quote:
But in sunny and warm (tropical and equatorial) environments, all roofs are FLAT. Always. They also often support a platform where people can stand on evenings when the sun is not high in the sky.
Flat roofs look very boring and dont block VIS as much. Many people complained about it needed more roofs during the first versions.

Quote:
Who transported this pile of grass here ? The farmer who did this must be very stupid: it's on an exterior platform very exposed to wind ; he can be sure that by tomorrow nothing will remain of his nice pile
In farms these sort of piles are stocked either against a wall, or better in a corner, and almost always indoors. When it is stocked outdoors, it is for drying the grass (hence not suitable for feeding animals) in the middle of a yard surrounded by walls so that the wind has little effect on the pile. But as is, it's unrealistic.
I thought of making some kind of fence around it, but r_speeds are already high enough in this area.

Quote:
An advice to mappers: never put trees that close to walls.
Thanks for the advice, but that tree is staying there. I cant rip out all my details

Quote:
Same remark about the roof as before: if this map takes place in a warm (tropical or equatorial) environment, roofs CANNOT be bent but flat. Simple.
Flat roofs look very boring and n00bish. They are used to identify n00b mappers and early versions of maps

Quote:
I circled in second the texture that is on top of the entrance. What sort of texture is this ? It looks like ceramic. Why put ceramic here ?
Yeah, thoose people there are quite wierd Honestly, I have no idea besides they wanted it to look nice.

Quote:
First, the pillars are not wide enough.
They are the width of the woodbeams, they look most natural.

Quote:
Then, the wooden beams just cannot be standing on top of the pillars but have to be carved inside.
Fear the r_speeds.

Quote:
What's the purpose of these structures in triangle on the left ? The only thing I could see would be if it was for a temple, and where they would have a spiritual meaning.
Simple detail, nothing besides that. It prevents the wall from looking cut-off, as >BKA< T Wrecks warned me off.

Quote:
Also, there is a lack of space at the top of the tower between the window and the roof. Yet another note about these roofs: if you REALLY want to make bent roofs, don't forget their purpose: it is to evacuate rain. Hence these roofs must ALWAYS overlap the wall a bit (so that the rain cannot flow against the wall and make it dirty).
R_speeds

Quote:
A texture problem here ? My apologies if not
I actually dont think there is, I will check it out though.

Thanks for the comments!