View Single Post
The faces of Muhammad
Old
  (#1)
Zacker
Project Leader, Lead Level Designer, Waypointer

Default The faces of Muhammad - 31-01-2006

Some months ago a danish newspaper published 12 drawings of the prophet Muhammad. Since then many muslim and middleeastern countries are getting crazier and crazier ideas each day.

Many muslim countries and people want the danish government to give the newspaper a fee. In Denmark we got a society of justice with free speech, so a government can logically not just give a newspaper a fee. If anyone have to judged here, then you got the courts and judges to do that.

They also want the danish government to apologize. That sounds crazy to me as the newspaper which published the drawings is completely independant of the government. The government have absolutely nothing to say regarding the articles in the newspaper, so why should they apologize for it?

Danish products are receiving a boykot in most middleastern countries. How on earth can it be fair that some milk company is punished for something a completely unrelated newspaper have done?

Imo the requirements and boykots down there were already bad enough, but now they are going even further. EU offices get raided by armed men. The danish flag is burned off. Palestinian groups want all danes out of the western bank within 3 days. Others are encouraging everybody to attack all avaible danish targets.

These kind of actions are really pissing me off. The free speech and liberal press we have in Denmark is among the things I am the most proud of. Now all these people are attacking it and want us to discard that and do as they want. All because of some drawings.

They should not be allowed to threat us like that. We should not abandon our free society and way of living because of some far out muslims.

Where is the backup from other western countries? USA usually do a lot to get freedom and liberty in this world, attack other countries and such. But do they have the courage to support Denmark in this case? Appearently not...

We need everyone not living in the middleage to step up and tell those middle eastern countries a thing or two about the freedom of speech.

Michael 'Zacker' Schmidt
Level Designer | IO Interactive
Former Game Director | Sands of War