View Single Post
Re: I'm Finally Stisfied... Well, almost.
Old
  (#3)
botmeister
Ex-Council Member

Default Re: I'm Finally Stisfied... Well, almost. - 14-01-2005

I've played it, and yes it's pretty good.

There are things about it I don't like. For one, it's a game built by the US military using tax dollars - well I don't care about the tax dollar expenditure part since I don't pay US taxes, but it's not really a game, instead it's a serious recruiting tool designed to reel in young kids into signing away their souls to the military.

Because it's a recruiting tool, some of the fun goes away, since the idea is to weed out undesirables and get desirables joining the military, you can forget about jumping into the game and having some instant fun. First you have to get through basic training, then you have to get past training missions before you can get to higher levels where the more interesting action is. The training levels may be a bit tedious, but in some ways it is good, since newbies and idiots won't be messing up the game play at the higher levels.

Because it's not really a game, some of the oddities are that you cannot play as the "terrorists", instead both teams see themselves as US military, and each team sees the other side as the terrorists. The result is that you can only play as the US military.

I'd prefer to be able to play as either the special forces or as the terrorists.

The realism is great, but it can get very slow at times. A game like CS struck a balance between realism and fun.

Speaking of realism, the physics and tactics may be relaistic, but the game is not. As a recruiting tool, the propaganda element was taken seriously. The game play does not attempt to show the player what a real war is like.

Maker of the (mEAn) Bot.Admin Manager

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." - Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut