View Single Post
Re: Waypointing
Old
  (#28)
BuMHeD

Default Re: Waypointing - 12-12-2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiyahin
Actually, you might be right about the weapon thing. I like to do research where it is as little weapon-based as possible, so that I can take someone/some bot's weapon and take it back to base.

This is just a really guess, but would it be because of the ranges you told the bots to use certain weapons actually clashed? eg:
0m-5m Briefcase
5m-10m Shotgun (double barrel)
10m-12m Shotgun (single barrel)
11m-15m Tommy gun

So, when a bot stands near you at 11.5m it then has to decide whether to use the "shotgun (single barre)"l or the "tommy gun", but because both weapons fit within the radius and the bot tries to use both weapons, causing a loop. (Note: This is a guess from a person who doesn't do any coding at all)
Yes, another experienceless person with an opinion here (me)... but I think he may be on to something. I remember reading through Botman's error log history, and there was, at one point, a conflict with weapon usages (it was for TFC) that would cause a problem that eventually led to the crash of the servers. Here's a link to his news page... scroll down to the date http://www.planethalflife.com/botman/old_news.shtml September 29th, 2001 perhaps that will give you some answers. The error that he references in that news report is the same error I was getting on my server when the bots would crash it. I suspect it had something to do with bots being added or removed at inappropriate intervals, but I can't say for certain. It's possible that bubblemod caused the problem since we do have some modified weapons that could be related to this looping issue... *shrug*. I will be willing to test this theory in the coming weeks with and without certain weapons to see if the crash issue comes back.

*~BuM~*