View Single Post
Re: United Bot philosophy and roadmap
Old
  (#72)
RedFox

Default Re: United Bot philosophy and roadmap - 02-06-2004

Just wanted to share some ideas I've had. The last bit of work on the design of foxbot I did (uhg...I may actually code something _eventually_) I made specifically to be mod independant.....as a side note (appart from the halflife calls) I noticed it could be game independant too....if hooks to the engine could be found.

The basic premice was that it used a blackboard architecture.....a shared memory pool where modules (such as, Can I see an enemy...or Navigation) could post and retrieve information...so all the bits of code where independant of each other.
Given raw entity data posted in the memory pool.....the module that checks visibility would notice it (on its next cycle) and then test to see what was visible to a bot....
it would then post the results.....so the memory pool now contains entities....and what bot can see them.
You can have modules that attach information to them such as....is it hostile...is it shooting..etc etc...
New modules, or changes to module designs won't effect other modules.....unless they change the data thats posted.

Time slicing can be applied if needed....as data is retreived and left on the pool as needed.

After reading over what you've said I scetched out an idea....assuming its possible....the wrapper dll could have plugins too....the wrapper would provide standard calls to and from the bot.....
plugins for this would provide the code needed to hook to specific game engines....so the wrapper need not change, just the hooking....
As some games won't provide all the data needed...plugins can simulate it for some games too.

Not sure what you all think of the two ideas...just my take on it all.
I like things to be easily expandable.