View Single Post
Re: Working on a game...
Old
  (#13)
mirv
Super Moderator

Default Re: Working on a game... - 05-06-2006

At the moment, it loads some terrain, and renders it! I was about to start integrating some crates bouncing around the place, as some of the physics codebase is in place, but decided to re-write the quadtree structure. So it's not really even alpha yet...
Uses OpenGL. I like things to run across multiple platforms, so I've been using SDL.
What I have right now:
Texture management (re-loading a texture package from file still needs to be done).
Terrain quadtree system (optimised for rendering, working on additional structure optimised for physics which will be used in conjuction).
Basic sphere-sphere, sphere-cone, object-aligned bounding box collision is in place.
Camera system is in place (multiple viewport support will be added eventually!)
Loading a font (that's about it - I'm also going to work on a 2d-gui outline one day).
-- Note: I'm doing the lot from scratch. May use things like ODE for some physics stuff, but anything like a 2d-gui system, I'll build myself.

I'm making an editor in parallel to the engine, and use my own file format. But I have written code a long time ago that should load most *.dxf meshes, and *.3ds, which would be simple enough to incorporate into the editor.

For more useless info, feature wise, I've been approaching it with the view of re-making some old games, and designing something that could be used in all of them (from Mechwarrior 2, to Space Hulk).

mirv the Silly Fish.