View Single Post
Re: Which version of ET should I use?
Old
  (#8)
TomTom
ET Waypointing team member

Default Re: Which version of ET should I use? - 17-07-2007

Did some tests and came across one possible curiosity. It seems that original ET lists in the Host Game display all the <mapname>.arena files that it finds in the scripts subdirectory (etmain\scripts), and when you run Fritzbot ET it also includes those it finds in fritzbot\scripts. ET does not check for the bsp file until you try to load it. So what happens is your sound plays and the window display shows that it is "connecting..." but if you open the console (`) you see the message "Can't find map maps\et_beach.bsp" or whatever mapname you selected. No command I can think of gets the display back to the main menu (although load a good map like /map oasis, then after it loads /disconnect will get you back to the main menu).

So why is that a problem? After all the bsp and arena files are together in the file et_beach.pk3 right? Well there is a modified et_beach.arena file in the fritbot map pack fritz0.pk3. So if you don't have the proper et_beach.pk3 in \etmain selecting "beach invasion" in the host submenu will get you seemingly frozen out.

It seems that when we waypointers include an edited arena file we create the possibility for this rare problem to occur.

The good news is I only see 4 maps in the 2 official map paks that have included arena files.

If this is what is happening in your case we apologize for any confusion...