View Single Post
Re: Time to make some decisions?
Old
  (#61)
FrostyCoolSlug

Default Re: Time to make some decisions? - 12-06-2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruB
actually.. if there is not an exploasion.. a bullet wont make you fly back like in the movies.. if you get shoot with a deadly bullet you would likely just fall on your knees..

but i think it would be cool.. maybe aim for cool animations where you use different animation all the time.. i mean.. when you run.. you dont run like the next guy.. different classes run different.. or something.. same for climbing and such..
maybe, because we are using ragdoll physics, we could create a 'basic' animation for running, and vary footsteps length, those lengths effect how the player moves, but, all players should keep the same average speed.

The weight of what your carrying should effect your speed (and maybe stamina), cause irl, you dont see people running with rocket launchers and full rockets running at the pace of someone with a pistol

Something else i've noticed, everyone seems to assume that this will be a 'class' based game.. Although classes are nice, they dont allow for much flexibility.

I dont know how many of you played firearms for half-life, but they had an interesting system:

Each player starts with 23 points, each gun and piece of equiptment costs a certain ammount of points, and its up to the player to decide what was best, this way, theres no real need to worry about 'balancing' the classes, the player decides what setup is best for him (with the possibility to save it), and can play with that. The weight of the stuff they are carrying should depend on what stuff they have selected, so if they spent all 23 points (I'm using that as an example), they wouldnt be able to move at the same speed as someone who spent 1 point.

I feel this way adds for customisation, you wont have 50 people who look the same because they decide 'assault' is the best class, everyone will have a preferance, and if for whatever reason, they dont like it, they can change it at will

=====
Craig "FrostyCoolSlug" McLure
Network Administrator of the ChatSpike IRC Network