View Single Post
Re: United Bot for HL2?
Old
  (#4)
Pierre-Marie Baty
Roi de France

Default Re: United Bot for HL2? - 17-05-2004

That is a question that needs a bit of reflection.

If we drop support for various games engines and stick to one but with multiple MODs support, then the bot will not be much different than what I'm trying to do with RACC at the moment.

If we do this, it will also mean that our bot will be tied to the life cycle of this game. As soon as HL2 dies, the bot becomes useless and dies too.

It was furthermore obvious to me that our multi-engine United Bot would support HL2 very early.

Sticking to a game engine allows a more tight integration with the game code, easier access to more facilities, and focus on one representation of the game data. Doing a cross-engine bot is much more complicated for sure, but definitely doable. ALL aspects of a smart bot are doable. Show me one that isn't. It demands more time and sometimes requires crafty methods, but that was the purpose of the game driver.

I honestly don't know what to think. I need to know how YOU were seeing the immediate future of the United Bot before botman proposed this idea.

Botman, which was the diagnostic you had to make of our current situation that led you to submit this idea ?

I'm interested in everybody else's point as well.

RACC home - Bots-United: beer, babies & bots (especially the latter)
"Learn to think by yourself, else others will do it for you."