View Single Post
Re: Can somone give me a good CS Name?
Old
  (#47)
brad

Default Re: Can somone give me a good CS Name? - 23-07-2005

the idea of asking someone else to come up with a name...for someone else, sounds a bit paradoxial. A name is something used to distiniguish someone. It is personal, and can represent any number of things (yes, i'll concede, sometimes that representation is "nothing", but it's still a tag).

that's one view

the other is that: "no, it's just a name for a character." in which case take two seconds and do exactly what a name generator is going to do (place consonants with vowels) and type it.

Yes, i've spent as much as...oh, 15 minutes before on a name, and i was a bit ashamed. But acting as though a CS identity is so essential that your name has to "sound right" is not the right thing to do. Perhaps if there were a Name Game....in which you had to....name things, perhaps people....it would matter. But CS is not about naming, and it's not about having an identity that you can log on to. I have seen gamers attempt to create a different reality for themselves through games (because they were unfortunately neglected in school, and society. They come on games as our equivolent of a 6 foot 4, 185 lb. football QB....because they can.) Such surrogate realities aren't healthy, and they aren't supportive. They're synthetic for pete sakes. It's impossible to mature in a world of your own making. As unpleasant as any reality may be, it's still a reality, and must be treated as such. To deny reality, is to deny life...
Being drawn in to such pleantries is like methodically severing your chord to life. That's "letting go", we usually reserve that term for the crazy, and for the dead. There's only one life to live, and only one way to live it. You either do, or you don't. Halting your reason, and letting your greed lead the way, is kamikazi, it's suicide. Walking the plank. "This feels good here...this feels good here....this feels good here...." his or her's life is diminished. Gone.
Enjoy the game, take it for what it's got, but don't live the game.
Pick the name jim...or brad....those are ones i use because they say nothing about who i am. I'll let me say who i am.