View Single Post
Re: Custom Interfaces
Old
  (#3)
botman
Super Moderator

Default Re: Custom Interfaces - 07-06-2005

Okay, off the top of my head, here's a list of things that you would need to be available to bots...

Things that I assume are staticly controlled by the bot coder (like what weapons there are in the game, how those weapons are fired, what various "power-ups" do, etc.) These items require NO interface functions because if these were dynamic (defined at run-time) making code to handle them would be a nightmare:

- What weapons are available in the game.
- How those weapons are fired (single shot, auto, semi-auto, charged then fired, etc.).
- What types of ammo is required for each weapon.
- What types of "power-ups" are in the game (health packs, shields, special powers like invisibility/superspeed/longjump, etc.).
- Do the "power-ups" have a time limit or do they stay with you until you are killed.
- What are the game rules (deathmatch, CTF, king-of-the-hill, etc.)
- What types of teams are there and what abilities does each team have (does one team have powers that another team does not) and how are these team chosen by the player in game.
- What types of classes (infantry, medic, sniper, etc.) are available for each team and how are these classes chosen in game.

Things that need to have some interface to access some information at run-time:

- What team is the bot on (even if the bot requests a team, it doesn't mean the bot gets what it asks for in the case of server balanced teams)?
- What class (infantry, medic, sniper) is the bot (again, they might not get what they request)?
- What weapons is the bot currently carrying?
- How much ammo is the bot carrying for each type of weapon that it is carrying (this is needed to intelligently pick which weapon to switch to)?
- How much health does the bot currently have?
- How much shield/money/other does the bot currently have? (this one is difficult because you need some generic interface that basically says "how much 'X' do I have" where X can be unique to each mod. this probably has to be passed as a string "money" and the mod code deciphers the string and returns the int/float value for that item)
- What team/class is some other player on (are they friend or foe)?
- What weapon is some other player carrying (should I attack them or run away)?
- How does the bot get notified when sounds are created?
- How does the bot get notified when visual effects (flashbang) are created?

I'm sure there are plenty of other types of info that bots would need, but this list should be a good starting point.

botman