Re: Engine
Old
  (#39)
Squalman

Default Re: Engine - 30-01-2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ava3ar
I've got the leaked SDK + game, and started looking at the code

i noticed taht the AI doesn't actually see guns or people, it see's fixed points, so it doesn't see you it see's a spot in your stomach, so ive modified the code so that it does actually see head/legs/arms/body rather than fixed points, and it see's weapons/ammo now rather than static model.

so far ive only got it to see weapon, see enemy/ally, identify own weapon, identify enemy/ally weapon, identify own ammo, estimate enemy/ally ammo, work out distance from enemy/ally, work out best target area (e.g. head or leg/arm/body) depending on obsticles in way, but i havent got it to work out walk/run/avoid/dodge/cover yet, which is what i need to work on.
Now here, and im not defending this guy, because i was deeply enraged to hear of the events that befell the hl2 source, but listen to what i have to say:

The knowlege gained by looking at next-generation leaked code could be an advantage, if you learn how things work in modern games and even how the ai works as he points out, this is not only very interesting, but might be somthing to consider.

Also, off that topic:

I recently downloaded the Public GNU protected Quake 1, and 2 source codes to play with (and putting aside for a lil while my own game-development company which is still looking for staff, email me on that one) and noticed that they would not compile because of a custom build command called " ml " just out of curiosity, does anyone know wtf that is supposed to do and what i may need to do it? My point is, we should mess around with several engines and ultimately make a rounded engine out of experience and group-interest.