View Single Post
Re: Can't make my routes work!
Old
  (#4)
Maleficus

Default Re: Can't make my routes work! - 01-01-2006

They only can use dynamite, steal and deliver for routes. If they were pointing to aim, that prolly explains why the axis never take the sewers to the field ops, but the allies will on MP_DEPOT. This is a pathing bug, not a bot bug.

All of the dnyamite actions should be linked together - are they? If not, the code will mistakenly pick one of them (the first it reaches), and treat that plant action as THE plant action for that particular goal. This would explain why your routes are ignored: the action on the other side of the door isn't "seen" by the code. By linking the actions together, you let the bot know there are ALL valid actions, for one target, and the bot will pick which to go to. And the code will intelligently know how to handle the actions when its completed.

Route placement IS very important.

Think of it this way: the bots always want to take the shortest route to their goal. If you want them to take a longer way to the goal, you need to have the route placed in such a way that by the time the bot reaches that roam action, the shortest way would be the path you want it to take.

Look at the attached pic below for a simple example:

The red dot is the bot.
The blue dot is the location where the bot wants to go.
The white lines are the possible routes to the goal (2 routes possible).
The green dot is the alt route action.

As you can see, to just take route 1 to the goal would be the fastest, and if left up to the bot, that is what they would prefer. But maybe you want them to take the longer way (maybe its safer), you will have to place the green dot in such a way, that by the time the bot gets there, taking route 2 is now the shortest route to the goal (going back to where it was before and then going on route 1 would be longer).

If you moved the green dot too close to the red one, the bot would just go to it and then back track to where it was then continue to take route 1 to
the blue dot.

If you move the green dot too close to the blue one, just taking route 1 to reach it is still faster, and route 2 is ignored again.

You have to position the green dot in such a way, that going your route (number 2) is the better choice once the bot gets there - and thats why placement is important.

I hope that helps. I'm not really good at documentation, and I know it sometimes causes some confusion for you guys, but I'm really pleased with what your all doing, and I encourage you to continue working on paths, and I will try to help you as best I can.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	route.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	800  

Dum Spiro Spero