View Single Post
Re: Some things ive noticed
Old
  (#10)
Valiant

Default Re: Some things ive noticed - 19-04-2006

The way bot camping works in Rtcw Fritzbot (and I presume, also in ET for the most part) is simple. A green node, designated for Actions is placed at any given location - said action is tagged to mark what kind of action it is (Dynamite objective, camping, camping aim directional marker, Objective steal, Spawn Flag grab, etc.)

This label is available for one, or both teams - this means it can be set to nothing for Axis, and something for Allied or something for both sides. There are other relevant variables to be set of course but the important thing to point out for our immediate purposes is that the Bots arbitrarily decide what they want to do based on the following conditions (more or less):

A) What actions are available to their class during the current Goal ID# specified by the Goal Tracker. (By matching the GroupNum# on the active actions)

B) Which of those actions are currently Active and Reachable via pathnodes.

The rest is pretty much up to the bot and fairly random. If he wants to camp over on the stairs, he will. If his behavior is set to roam and hunt, he'll blow off camping entirely and wander around for someone to shoot. So you can't really modify the Bots general camping behavior for specific locations in a specific map.

All you can do is designate more locations to be available as camps - and let that lend more variety to playtime when the bot decides where and if he wants to hang out. However, there is no way at current to make it randomized in any sort of fashion because you always have to designate specific places at which he may choose to wait.

As far as the strafing goes, I tend to keep my bots turned down because I'm not that great of a player. But when I loaded it up on default (Medium AiSkill, Medium AimSkill) they seemed to strafe-dodge when reloading in general, among other things. It may be a simple matter of fiddling to get the right balance of the two settings. Then again it just may need to be tweaked a little - but thats not my department. hehe.

EDIT:

CovertOps being too obvious by camping in the Axis locations could be fixed either by making Axis CovertOps with no enemy command center to destroy (or if the waypointer feels they shouldn't be going after it currently) not camp at all. Or Temporarily flag them able to read Allied Camp Actions and use them while in disguise. Though wandering around makes them just as easily spotted IMO, plus the second idea necessitates there actually being Allied Camps, and there's not alot of use for them on most single-objective maps where they're on offense.

Having the bots assault the enemy spawns is a simple matter of placing patrol actions over there during waypointing. Not difficult at all, the real question is - should you? That sort of thing is all or nothing, either they do it or don't. Its not optional on any level once done. Some players, such as myself may find that rather agitating to be spawncamped or ganked at the spawn occassionally. I would be all for it, if there was some way to toggle that behavior on and off. Since there really isn't, I wouldn't incorporate that into my waypoints because I'd personally find it unsettling.

The way is made clear when viewed from above.

Last edited by Valiant; 19-04-2006 at 19:59..