View Single Post
Re: intel_center waypoints
Old
  (#9)
TomTom
ET Waypointing team member

Default Re: intel_center waypoints - 21-04-2008

I am not saying let the goal tracker enable actions when it increments, that is best left in the RTCW version. But goal zero will activate actions before the first bots spawn while default{activateaction_...} activates actions at a fraction of a second later. The latter results in bots spamming that they have no goals at the start but then going out and playing normally. It is mainly nuisance and spam.

And yes I start by having a roam in every action_group with the first one goal 0 mainly to kill nuisance error messages. This ensures that there are always some roams in what is a camping style of waypointing (I guess you know by now I am a camper).

The other 2 values i use for action_goal are -1 and 999. The latter is because while we chose to not use goaltracker stepped control, the value of goal_num is involved in some aiscript test commands. CrapShoot told me about this a year ago+. Basically if an if_action_true/false tests an action that is goal -1 and not yet activated the results are not certain and may rarely screw with your aiscript logic. Using a very high action_goal of 999 avoids the problem. Now actions with non -1 action_goals may let the goal_tracker increment but that is OK because all our actions are action_active 1 and action_goal -1, 0 or 999 only (or they should be). BTW the bug apparently may also involve if_construct... tests too. (but I can only attest so far to seeing it with if_action... tests in debugging).