Re: Navigation using AABB
Old
  (#10)
Neoptolemus

Default Re: Navigation using AABB - 26-03-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Storm View Post
Lol, I'm really impressed! I can also propose one more step
4) Make engine independent API so that much more FPS's can benefit from your hard work.
In fact it is engine independent. The main process acts on a triangle soup, basically just vertices and indices like an OBJ file, though of course I have a pre-processing step to extract the triangles from the BSP in my implementation. To make it work for another engine you would only need to create a bespoke process to generate a series of triangles from the level data.

The main issue to overcome would be to simplify the map enough to avoid generating too many sectors. Half-Life maps are quite blocky and tend to be axis-aligned, but modern maps use much more detailed meshes which can be at any angle which could result in huge numbers of sectors. It would be worth experimenting with though

I have started integrating my pathfinding system into the bot now as I want to see how it performs in practice, but I've been delayed slightly by a change in jobs. I was doing development on my work laptop which I've had to return but I'm hoping to get another from my new workplace. Hopefully I can have a video in the next few days!