Thread: Recast / Detour
View Single Post
Recast / Detour
Old
  (#1)
Neoptolemus

Default Recast / Detour - 20-06-2015

Hi there,

I've been working on integrating the recast and detour libraries written by Mikko Mononen into the HPB template, to create a bot whose navigation and pathfinding is powered by it.

The easy part has been done. I've written some code to read a Half-Life BSP, extract all the vertices, triangulate the faces and write the indices to a standard .OBJ file format. It also flips the Y and Z vertices around, and mirrors along the Z axis (as OpenGL, and therefore recast, uses a right-handed coordinate system where Y is up, and -Z is "forward"). It's not perfected yet as it still extracts the geometry for the sky and other redundant surfaces, and the bounding boxes for entities, but these will be stripped out next to leave only "real" geometry.

I've then opened the level up using the RecastDetourDemo application available from the github here.

The results are pretty good, as shown here:

For anyone who is interested in trying it for themselves, I've made a pre-compiled version of the tool available (complete with examples for cs_italy and de_dust), as well as the source for my BSP-OBJ exporter here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...stDetourCS.zip

The source is not fully drag and drop, you'll need to define your own functions for retrieving the BSP file path and the OBJ destination path, but that should be all.

I'll update this thread as I make progress and I eventually want to release a bot template with the navmesh generation and pathfinding fully integrated.

Last edited by Neoptolemus; 21-06-2015 at 00:56..