View Single Post
Re: MM plugin that returns bsp model numbers.
Old
  (#7)
Austin

Default Re: MM plugin that returns bsp model numbers. - 02-04-2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre-Marie Baty
why do you bother hacking all your doors in all your maps when the fix for the bots to navigate doors perfectly like humans is known already ? My metamod port of POD-bot has no problem with any sort of door, by the way.
I have the feeling you're wasting a lot of time...
Nope!
Take a look at this PM. It is THE pod2.6MM.
This bot was STUCK AT THE FU_KING func_door_rotating.
And he got stuck simply BY THE EDGE OF THE DOOR!
The bot got stuck ON THE EDGE OF THE DOOR AND WOULD NOT GIVE IT UP, PERIOD, Jumping every few seconds and trying to move straight ahead to no avail.

I have been at this, running servers with pod.x bots for 2.5 years.
They SIMPLY-SCREW-UP-BADLY ON the func_door_rotating type of doors.
They get stuck behind them.
They get stuck on the edges.
They bunch up on both sides pushing the doors incessantly trying to open them in vain, since other bots are on the other side doing the same thing, and the door can't possibly swing open with bots on both sides.
THIS HAS BEEN T-H-E #1 worst thing about the bots that makes then less playable then they could be. Perhaps is it worse for me over others since I run a server with 28 BOTs on the same team.

When I put in my "fix" which was to change all the doors to func_door, my regular players ALL commented how much better and more fun the the bots were playing the maps.

If you can give me a fix where
they would not get stuck on the edge of a rotating door,
would not get stuck behind an open rotating door,
and a fix where like 3 bots on both sides of a rotating door get through about as well as humans then I would GLADLY "quit wasting my time!"