.:: Bots United ::.

.:: Bots United ::. (http://forums.bots-united.com/index.php)
-   Half-Life and HL1 Mods (http://forums.bots-united.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   WON is going away! (http://forums.bots-united.com/showthread.php?t=2147)

sPlOrYgOn 30-06-2004 00:59

WON is going away!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steam News
WON authentication servers will be phased out by the end of summer.

no more playing without steam :'(

sfx1999 30-06-2004 07:42

Re: WON is going away!

Oh sh*t!

stefanhendriks 30-06-2004 07:49

"The Horror... THEEE HORRRORRR".

:D

seriously, as long as i can run a LAN server with my CS 1.5, i would not care less. As i am spoiled with STEAM already. But i can imagine that there are A LOT of people that are going on STEAM, NOT BEING HAPPY... or they won't use STEAM at all.

Perhaps some smart dude finds a way to simulate a WON server. I know this is already done for NFSU. You can create your own lan games there , you simply fool the game that you are on th einternet and you run that 'simulated internet server which is actually a lan server'... thingy ;)

Maleficus 30-06-2004 09:21

Being on 56k - I can't stand steam. Also as a programmer, I see it as a bloated POS thats being forced on people, and doesn't even do half the stuff they say it does, and it hogs EVERYTHING - from bandwidth, to CPU!! >:(

Guess I'll have to stick to Realbot/joebot and 1.5 ;)

Pierre-Marie Baty 30-06-2004 12:03

it was unavoidable...
we're trapped!

Nova 30-06-2004 13:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre-Marie Baty
it was unavoidable...
we're trapped!

Hehe. I like steam. I really like the fact that their giving the cheaters the old "FLICK" ... very nice.

And you 56k people, if you want ill send you a DVD with the up-to-date steam cache files so you dont have to download them.

Seb

von Ryan 30-06-2004 20:47

Well, if there is something Steam does right is to secure your cd-key (if you have an original one) so no one else that doesn't have your account email and password can use them ;-)

BTW, I do "run" on 56K and don't have any problems with steam... Conspiracy? I think so... :D

$eu_crey$$on

Jeffrccar 30-06-2004 22:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by stefanhendriks
Perhaps some smart dude finds a way to simulate a WON server. I know this is already done for NFSU. You can create your own lan games there , you simply fool the game that you are on th einternet and you run that 'simulated internet server which is actually a lan server'... thingy ;)

I don't have WON anymore. If you look in the half-life folder or the valve folder and use Notepad on some files(it's a small file). You can change the WON IP Address by changing one of the files.
Now for the WON Server half, there was this program called BnetW that was open-source. However, I can't locate the site.

Here is a site that modifed BnetW for Warcraft3: http://www.pvpgn.org/

Austin 01-07-2004 05:10

How is it that I can't use something that I PAID for??
I will request a refund in full.

The only reason I am still here is because of my faithful group of players who are on my 1.5 server day and night.

Was nice working with you guys.
When WON goes down I am history.

P.S.
I have this pearl script call nowon, linux only, that patches CS into thinking it is on the LAN when it isn't so people can connect that are not on the LAN.

The problem is, how is everyone going to find the server without the WON servers?

We were lulled into a trap. This is a mess.
Why don't they just leave the WON servers running?
They want more peole on 1.6 I guss but they are going to loose me and I guess a whole bunch more.

stefanhendriks 01-07-2004 09:24

well, afaik WON is a server which holds a list of server right? So perhaps an alternative for that exists already? dunno though