.:: Bots United ::.

.:: Bots United ::. (http://forums.bots-united.com/index.php)
-   Ideas (http://forums.bots-united.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   bot pausing (http://forums.bots-united.com/showthread.php?t=5750)

person135 04-10-2006 05:19

bot pausing

I have a suggestion for a waypoint option. How about having a flag that tells bots to stay in one area for a while (like at least 5 seconds). I notice that bots tend to run around non stop around a map and they don't really stop at places humans do. For example, on de_dust2, on the path leading to bomb A, terrorists have to go through a double door that is the entrance to a small corridor with a big box and that is sometimes heavily guarded by CTs. Well, on these areas, humans tend to stay in that area for a while, like waiting to fire off some shots or to see if the coast is clear to rush. Bots seem to just run in and start attacking, taking all the fun out of cs.

Know what I'm saying?

Ancient 04-10-2006 06:03

Re: bot pausing

Well these things often do happen bots continuously running around; but camping waypoints is what your looking for. Bot's often ignore camp waypoints until the bomb is planted. (Only an observation).

Camping waypoints can be flagged for CT Camping or T Camping only.

person135 05-10-2006 02:39

yes but you say bots often ignore camp waypoints until the bomb is planted.

Ancient 05-10-2006 02:46

Yes.
Sometimes bots will camp if it is an important labeled camp point :)
Like in De_Dust; in the tunnel in the 3-way intersection is an example of a camp waypoint that bots use often.
When I say often; I mean alot.

You can edit map waypointss to add more camp points than normal*green* waypoints, which will offer more options to the bot.

I have noticed when camp points are around their team important waypoint; those camp waypoints are used more often.
It's just an inference.

Austin 05-10-2006 07:45

I always wanted this feature. I think it would be very useful and make the bots more human like and more fun to game with.

What I would want is a new waypoint type (or possible a new wp flag).
Call it a pause wp. A number of seconds should be associated with it like 5, 10, 15, 20, seconds.

How would you use it?
Here is an example. On as_oilrig a bot runs on to the big lift and hits the button to start it in motion. The lift gets partly to the top but the dumb bot runs off before it reaches the top. We could set a one way path to the button and the next wp after the button would be a pause 10 so the bot waits until the lift is at the top.

This isn't a perfect example and I have not yet checked out the new button handling features so maybe it is better to use that now.

But I have many situations where I would use this in most every map.
It would make playing the bots more fun!

KWo 05-10-2006 09:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin
On as_oilrig a bot runs on to the big lift and hits the button to start it in motion. The lift gets partly to the top but the dumb bot runs off before it reaches the top.

Really? Have You been looking at this demo?
Ehh, Austin, seems You really need to check the stuff before You complain after Your come back.. :P

Austin 05-10-2006 11:00

Yes I do need to spend some time learning everything agin, but I did say the oilrig example may not be a good one to use as a pause example since you probably have better new lift/button code.

I still would like a pause wp to use for general game tactics.
There are places in the maps where t and ct generally meet and I think putting some pause wp around these may make for some interesting combat.

There are other places in the map where humans do tend to stop for a few seconds.

For example in de_train, in the hall by ts spawn at the top of the ladder.
Humans will generally rush to that spot and camp for 20-30 seconds waiting for some one to come up the ladder.

This may by tricky to code and design since we probably do not want every bot stopping at every pause wp every time.

Lets keep talking about how it may/should work.

I could never get demos working on my PC. maybe I should try again now years later??..

KWo 05-10-2006 11:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Austin
I could never get demos working on my PC. maybe I should try again now years later??..

Download that demo zip file and unzip it into Your ...\Steam\SteamApps\austin@email.com\counter-strike\cstrike folder.
Then fire up the CS (but don't create a game yet). You should see the console. Type in it:
viewdemo demo_name
Not sure if You have to write demo_name.dem (probably not important).

[EDIT]
Another command to see the demo is playdemo (but You cannot pause or go back etc).
[/EDIT]

Austin 05-10-2006 12:35

I can play demos!
Awesome demo, Awesome bot functionality!
(Worked without the .dem)

Going to use these waypoints for oilrig!
TX!

Ancient 05-10-2006 13:37

hmmm that demo exaplains alot about lifts; maybe put it in doc files?