.:: Bots United ::.

.:: Bots United ::. (http://forums.bots-united.com/index.php)
-   GrogBot (http://forums.bots-united.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   A Server with Bots (http://forums.bots-united.com/showthread.php?t=4362)

Broadus 18-08-2005 03:10

A Server with Bots

I'm sure someone has already asked this, (NO I'M NOT, I LIE!) but is there someone out there who can run a working dedicated server with bots on it? The bots are fun but it'd be even better if someone ran a server that players could play on but bots were already playing on.
I've only played with six people at a time tops and, although it can be pretty fun, it gets a little boring or empty after awhile. I can't run a dedicated server and enjoy it at the same time because I use a router to connect to the internet and, if I managed to get one computer to run the server (I'd have to set up ports and all that), I wouldn't be able to play on it with another computer.

EDIT:
I actually saw a server a few minutes ago that, to my UTTER AND PURE JOY had both bots and players (not many) on it. However, I don't think it was a dedicated server because the amount of bots switched around (implying that someone was there to control the amount of bots) and it lagged horribly.
At least the lag in Half-Life just makes responses late instead of throwing people around and crap like the lag in some games.
Since it probably wasn't a dedicated server, I don't think it will be there tomorrow... Shame.

AzShadow 18-08-2005 08:49

Re: A Server with Bots

Wow! When was the last time someone posted something in this forum? People usually don't like bots on the server. They want to play with other humans :|. I don't play pvk much online anymore but IMO it's better to frag humans instead of bots. But if people like playing against bots.. tell me if you see such a server ;). The only real problem with pvk has been the lack of servers. When there was a 100 MBit server for few days there were like 10-20 players.

Btw. I just checked Steam and I saw 2 servers with many bots and few humans. Ping is like 300 with me so I won't play there.

Broadus 18-08-2005 08:55

Just now I went to check out the servers and there was indeed another server with bots on it, then I read your post. Yeah, they're too laggy because they're not dedicated. The two unpopulated dedicated servers on PVK could probably use some bots to liven things up in them.
It's not that I like killing bots more than humans- the feeling isn't as satisfying- it's just that the game generally goes unplayed because nobody wants to join an empty server alone just to wait for other people to join.
Bots never get tired of playing, however, and always keep a server populated. If it was just three or four bots on each team, that would be great. Bots take up memory and it's easier to play with bots when they're using someone else's memory. (Of course you can't use someone else's memory if you can't play online, which is why people use bots in the first place.)
Plus, people would be more encouraged to play when they see a server with twenty people on it instead of one or two.

EDIT:
I just played the second one, all humans (Vikings) versus about twenty computers (Knights) on Helms Deep. It actually ran pretty fast, despite the high ping. No matter how fast it ran, I still sucked, though. I'm no good at being vikings. Still, it's an interesting challenge. How are you supposed to beat Helms Deep, anyway?

AzShadow 18-08-2005 14:52

You must go to the tower and blow the horn. Then you and your team get points from it. It'd be a nice map with 32 players. 16 knights defending and 16 vikings rushing and when you blow the front wall... YEAH 8D

Broadus 19-08-2005 07:09

Well, having thirty bots can help with that goal but GrogBot wants to add pirate bots some reason on Helms Deep and, as we've already said, playing with bots isn't quite as fun as playing with humans. You know the bots talk even more than real people? I certainly appreciate that small bit of life given to bots because they're otherwise just bots.
Counter-Strike: Source bots are great because they talk through voice chat as if they were real people. I don't see why anyone would try to make better bots for CS:S.
Which brings up another question of mine; Why can't players use voice communications in PVK?