.:: Bots United ::.

.:: Bots United ::. (http://forums.bots-united.com/index.php)
-   The Agora (http://forums.bots-united.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Inactive Members (http://forums.bots-united.com/showthread.php?t=3992)

von Ryan 20-05-2005 02:25

Inactive Members

Did you know we have about 1250 members with ZERO posts?
I mean, if they were all recent, we could take into account that the person didn't feel like posting up to now, but there are a number of accounts from early 2004!

Let me get to the point: I think that we should email the owners of those accounts with zero posts, maybe the ones that are over 2 months old, asking them if they are interested in continuing their account. If not, we would delete their account (att: NOT ban, just account termination). After all, those ppl can access the forums without being logged.

I know how radical that sounds, but, when you come to think about it, it's logical.

Gimme your thoughts.

HangFire 20-05-2005 03:49

Re: Inactive Members

I'd only see the need if the high user number was causing server problems, which I don't think it is.

Also I see the member ammount in any community as a fair gauge as to how large it is, so why not leave it?

Pierre-Marie Baty 20-05-2005 08:57

I side with that. Of course that would reduce the size of our database from, let's say, a few kilobytes, but else I don't really see the point. And if ever the BU server had the bad idea to send 1250 emails at once, guess where it'll be listed ;)

KWo 20-05-2005 09:30

I understand the point of $eu_crey$$on - he wants to know the "real" number of BU members (BU community). I can ask the people at some friendly forums if they clear some unused accounts or not (but I don't think someone bothers about it).
I understand also the point of our Beloved President why don't clear them - it would mean another big work more for him. :D

Pierre-Marie Baty 20-05-2005 15:16

whatwhatwhat, ain't I beloved ?

HangFire 20-05-2005 16:30

"Feared Tyrant"

@$3.1415rin 20-05-2005 17:10

could stop me :P

boah, ya shouldnt do exercises to the early morning ( 2:00 ) and then start the next day with 3 lectures :P

stefanhendriks 20-05-2005 18:11

i agree with the above posted (also with asp, but thats a different story ;)).

Notify the non-active-at-a-very-recent-period-of-time-user with an e-mail. When no activity is noticed within a few days (week?), the account information will be deleted. When we do this, we get a better picture of our community. Which is , imo, pretty important ;)

von Ryan 20-05-2005 19:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by stefanhendriks
i agree with the above posted (also with asp, but thats a different story ;)).

Notify the non-active-at-a-very-recent-period-of-time-user with an e-mail. When no activity is noticed within a few days (week?), the account information will be deleted. When we do this, we get a better picture of our community. Which is , imo, pretty important ;)

I totally agree with you, stefan.
And my point is not "reduce the size of the database" or "know the real number of members". I just think it is useless to keep that kind of information on the server for a person that seldom (never) visits or posts on the forums.
And I understand PMB's worries about the amount of emails. We could do it in lots, like, 250 per week 9_9...

Rick 20-05-2005 19:36

I don't like the idea...people who sign up get other things too like sending a PM or a better way to see which threads you read and which are updated. Also check the list with the current active users...most of them aren't very active posters anyway.
I'd say only remove acounts if they are very old or if the database gets a bit to full.