.:: Bots United ::.

.:: Bots United ::. (http://forums.bots-united.com/index.php)
-   The Agora (http://forums.bots-united.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Tribes 2 - Better bots (http://forums.bots-united.com/showthread.php?t=10085)

Roberto 14-05-2018 16:12

Tribes 2 - Better bots

Hi! I know this is mainly a Half Life mods bot forum, but just in case some of you know about the Tribes series, let me present to you WAY better bots than what the game has to offer. You'll think you're playing with real people, and you'll get your ass kicked just as much as you do online. What more can you ask from bots?

The creator of these bot scripts is Lagg-Alot, a bot enthusiast who made the bots drive vehicles (which they don't do by default) and made them do many, many more objectives, and also fixed a ton of bugs. The problem is he stopped in 2009.

However, he did sent me his latest scripts and explained how they work to me. Years later when I started to learn the basics of programming, I started to make my own modifications. I improved the bots, fixed more bugs, and added even more features. Now, I think they're some of the most fun bots to play against in an FPS.

So if you know about Tribes 2 and want better bots, get them from my site OR from TribesNext.

The list of features or changes is too big, so I won't bother copying it here too. You can read the installation instructions HERE, about Lagg's bots HERE, and about my modifications HERE. Have fun!

Whistler 15-05-2018 06:50

Re: Tribes 2 - Better bots

cool :)

Roberto 15-05-2018 23:02

Thanks! Despite the bots being for the tribes series, I also love playing against bots on many Half Life mods (HLDM/DoD/TFC/CS/ESF/OF). Some of these mods, I didn't have a chance to play them in their prime, so bots are really handy now.

tschumann 18-05-2018 13:21

Nice! I never played Tribes 2 but as you say, bots are great for games that are no longer in their prime.

Roberto 19-05-2018 20:23

Tell me about it, if only developers would keep making bots for their games... Just as some examples, Unreal Tournament 2004, Quake 3 Arena, ET: Quake Wars, and maybe even Left 4 Dead 2, those all had great built in bots so now everyone can play those games even if no servers are to be found. Hard to find new games with good bots, or bots at all.

RoboCop 21-05-2018 00:18

Yes well personally I think all bots should be open-source as well as having liberty to modify some build-in bots. This is near the end of the 2010s not the early 2000s, as those bots should be optimised as well fixing those long-term abandoned bugs.

Roberto 22-05-2018 18:07

Waaay to many games now have 0 mod/bot support. I hope that will change. But, I'm glad that at least we have all these bots for the older games. Most classics seem to have mod/bot support, so that is a sign that modabilty is very important.

tschumann 05-06-2018 13:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roberto (Post 67080)
Tell me about it, if only developers would keep making bots for their games... Just as some examples, Unreal Tournament 2004, Quake 3 Arena, ET: Quake Wars, and maybe even Left 4 Dead 2, those all had great built in bots so now everyone can play those games even if no servers are to be found. Hard to find new games with good bots, or bots at all.

They all did, yes.
Annoyingly the Titanfall games have no bots, which is odd because Source comes with some decent bot code.

Roberto 11-06-2018 00:42

That's too bad. I never played Titanfall, so if I want to play at some point I hope I can at least find some players online. Shame that it has no bots.

Also, I just wanna say, I see that you're the one who made the opposing force CTF bots. It's awesome that you're working on that because it's harder to implement more than just DM bots. Love all you guys who contributed to making bots, maps, and waypoints.

RoboCop 11-06-2018 00:47

Well I didn't create many bots apart from fixing them as well adding key waypoints to prevent bots from wondering too often and not following their objectives - but most importantly stop them from going into lava suicide.