.:: Bots United ::.

.:: Bots United ::. (http://forums.bots-united.com/index.php)
-   Half-Life and HL1 Mods (http://forums.bots-united.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Simplest way to use Bots to test a CS map (http://forums.bots-united.com/showthread.php?t=3886)

Redtail 23-04-2005 17:14

Simplest way to use Bots to test a CS map

I am creating my first map (CS1.6 Steam) and would like to use bots for testing.

I am running CS1.6 in Steam. My OS is WinXP.

I have been reading and reading this morning and it looks like (mostly because of Steam) I could end up down a path that is more trouble than it will be worth.

I just want the simplest way to add bots quickly to a map for testing the map.

There looks like there are quite a few options.

Could you please recommend which bot tool would be appropriate for my need.

Thanks Redtail

Gismo 26-04-2005 17:53

Re: Simplest way to use Bots to test a CS map

Realbot would probably be your best bet for map testing as most (please feel free to correct me if you know different, I have only used Real, Pod2.6mm, CZ and Source Bots) of the others need prepared waypoints for them. I've not actually used Realbot for a while so I can't tell you about them now but for ease of setting up and running on new maps, they were the easiest. If on the other hand, you wish to use Podbot, drop me a line and I will make up a set of pod2.6 waypoints for your map and I may even host it on my server. That way you can get playtesting done simply too.

Redtail 26-04-2005 21:15

Thanks for reply Gismo.

I have DL'd and setup PodBot,doing some waypoint and command learning.

So not to waste time redoing waypointing, how far along should I have my map.

Before releasing my map what do mappers usually do to mark their map as their map.

Retail

PS. Your site addy here is missing dot between co and uk. Looked at your site and will try playing on your server(s)

Gismo 26-04-2005 21:48

Oops, so I did. Right, sorted that. Most maps usually go out something like say de_redtailsbombmap_beta til you have things like the geometry, routes, ladders and anything else you get wrong first time out sorted out. Ruud on the LD50 forums is a mapper so he may be a better person to ask anything more technical about maps than that.

A brief plug for Ruuds maps

de_maya_beta1
de_maya_beta2
fy_ld50_river
fy_lethal_dose

and his most popular one to date

fy_lethal_dose2_beta1

As for marking maps, no idea, Ruud added the LD50 banner to the beta1 map if thats what you mean by marking.

Pierre-Marie Baty 27-04-2005 22:27

You can ask SoUlFaThEr too, he's a regular here and one of the best mappers there is. Do you want me to move this thread to the mapping forum ?

Gismo 27-04-2005 22:45

Yes he is isn't he, forgot clean about that and I've a couple of his maps too. Redtail has been answered and given other directions too so I think its sorted now.

Redtail 28-04-2005 12:28

Thanks guys.

I have been playing a bit with PodBot, but got a bit sidetracked with models after asking about using barrels.

Rudd at LD50 had some suggestions for barrels using models.

Thanks for offer to waypoint and play test Gismo.

FYI: I consider my map a "learner" map, but have been playing it with my son. Goal of this map is:
1) Learn how to do things the right way. I don't want to develop bad habits.
2) Create a map that allows for diverse play (i.e. close combat, sniping, stealth, team strategy for objective achievement all in one.

So I am not too concerned right now about having my textures all looking pretty, because this may just be a throw away map anyways.

Next steps:
Add Models - prob. just some barrels
Do some waypointing for OR just have Gis the expert do for me?
Play map some more
Check back with you guys about some play testing.

Thanks Redtail

Oh and PM you can move to mapping if you want. Thanks for telling about Soulfather. I think I will try to do as much on my own and save the tough stuff for bugging the experienced guys.