.:: Bots United ::.

.:: Bots United ::. (http://forums.bots-united.com/index.php)
-   General Programming (http://forums.bots-united.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   comments on eclipse (http://forums.bots-united.com/showthread.php?t=5298)

mirv 23-05-2006 15:53

comments on eclipse

G'day G'day,
Just wondered if anyone had used / still used eclipse (I know you were a fan of it Nova...)? I'm just installing it now with the cdt addon (for c/c++ development) and was curious as to any other comments people had. I use visual c++ express under windows now, and in my search for something I liked under linux, thought I'd give eclipse another go!

Whistler 24-05-2006 13:46

Re: comments on eclipse

I guess Anjuta and KDevelop are better for GNU/Linux C++ development :)

Eclipse is just too slow on my computer, and I hated Java. :)

Rick 24-05-2006 21:22

I only tried it once, it was rather slow. Also I'm not sure how good their C++ support is, since it's mainly Java orientated.
Oh and for another (cross platform) IDE; have you tried code::blocks?
KDevelop is my alltime favorite btw :)

Quote:

and I hated Java.
I read something about java being a bit more open source now, maybe you'll like it a bit better now ;)

mirv 25-05-2006 07:31

Eclipse didn't run that slow for me (they have made speed improvements recently it seems) - when it did run. Probably a mix of dev packages, but it was buggy as anything and I couldn't actually do anything without some complaint or other.
I finally got code::blocks working with a 3rd party ebuild (I'm using gentoo) - staying clear of kdevelop and anjuta because of the large amount of extra packages they require (I don't have gnome or kde installed). Having said that, eclipse was no different - but having java installed will most likely be useful.

Whistler 31-05-2006 10:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick
I read something about java being a bit more open source now, maybe you'll like it a bit better now ;)

The Sun Java VM has never been released as free software (or "open source"). The recent Sun action is just relaxing the license a bit to allow it to be distributed with a GNU/Linux distro.

However that's actually not the reason why I hated Java, the GNU Java and the Kaffe has been existing for quite a few years - The reason is I don't actually know Java very well and it's just slow and bloated. :)

mirv 11-07-2006 05:41

After trying various IDE's, I've come to the conclusion: KDevelop is good.

KWo 17-07-2006 10:46

I believe KDevelop is for linux platform. What is the best IDE for mingw on windows then?

The Storm 17-07-2006 12:30

MSVC from 6.0 to 2005 have very good IDEs. But if you ask for MinGW compiler then Eclipse, Code Blocks and Dev C++ are very good.

Whistler 17-07-2006 13:26

...and I think the Code::Blocks is the best one :)

But you can still wait for KDE4 if you don't want to use a free UNIX-like system like GNU/Linux or FreeBSD, I think they will port the KDE to Windows.

KWo 07-08-2006 09:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whistler
...and I think the Code::Blocks is the best one :)

OK - @Whistler - I've got this Code::Blocks working, but I have no idea how to use it's debugger - I mean - how to attach the debugger of Code::Blocks to my podbot_m.mdll (or hlds.exe) to let it catch my crashes.

Another thing - I still didn't solve the problem with correct settings for Mingw to get DrMingw working correctly - to show me exact code place and line number where the crash happened.
Here are my flags (in Code::Blocks) for the compiler:
-march=i586 -DOPT_TYPE=\"debugging\" -ggdb3 -DNDEBUG -DWIN32 -Wall -Wno-unknown-pragmas

and here my flags for the linker:
-Xlinker --add-stdcall-alias --export-all-symbols

The dll is about 3MB (normally - not debugged version is about 317KB) - so I believce there should be all possible info debugger needs.
What is missing? When I compile with MSVC++ 2005 Express, when I get a crash, DrMingw is working correctly.