.:: Bots United ::.

.:: Bots United ::. (http://forums.bots-united.com/index.php)
-   Offtopic (http://forums.bots-united.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Bot coders: does the Real World(tm) know (http://forums.bots-united.com/showthread.php?t=3891)

Maleficus 24-04-2005 12:13

Bot coders: does the Real World(tm) know

you create bots?

Do you ever tell people you know in the Real World about them? Like people from work or school?

I was thinking about this one today while I was trying to explain to someone at work about how A.I. in games work, as I don't usually mention to anyone from school or work that I'm the creator of Fritz.

A friend of mine makes music as a hobby, and when he tells people what he does in his spare time, its like: "cool! you make music. Wow". When I tell people what I do, its blank stares and confusion most of the time. :P

Surprisingly, my GF actually likes the fact I write Fritz, but thats because she enjoys playing RtCW and ET. :D

What are some of the experiences of the rest of you bot coders?

TruB 24-04-2005 12:42

Re: Bot coders: does the Real World(tm) know

i can draw line to clan gaming that i do..

even though its probably easier to understand than AI programming its weird how some dont have clue what its all about.. mostly those who dont play games at all.. like mother who thinks games is just about killing..

stefanhendriks 24-04-2005 12:52

sometimes i've told what i do/did in spare time, but all of the people have simply no clue what the heck AI is. Even those who DO play CS have no clue.

@$3.1415rin 24-04-2005 13:08

at school quite some ppl knew that I was working on a bot, now at university it's not that much, but since i'm studying physics and similar problems arise in others forms you were able to solve by the pathfinder in the bot, they also get to know :-)

von Ryan 24-04-2005 13:16

I guess PMB remembers when my mother spawned behind me when I was checking BU some time ago... I tried to explain her what PMB does ("He codes bots, mom")... Well, I can't say it was easy... 9_9

Rick 24-04-2005 13:27

Some people know it...and yes its hard to explain for some people :)
Sometimes I just say something like "I make it so, you can play vs the computer".

Pierre-Marie Baty 24-04-2005 22:24

lol I remember $eu's mother indeed :D

Most of the time I go just like Rick. Then people go like, "ah, in fact it's super simple then". Then I think "geez" and I change subject. Better to.

stefanhendriks 24-04-2005 23:05

lol yeah. But some people dont understand why. Ie:

"So what is that what you're doing Stefan?"
"I code a program so you can play against the computer in Counter-Strike"
"I thought that game was to play on-line only? How could you code something for that then?"

then the hard part comes.

When you say:
"I code a program that is able to 'simulate' the 'internet' by adding 'computer opponents' instead of 'real players'. So you can play the game WITHOUT being connectede to the internet" they are totally lost. :)

Cpl. Shrike 25-04-2005 11:34

Only my brother knows what it is im doing because he likes dod.
Other than that ppl "blank" at me when i tell what im doing.

Lethal 25-04-2005 13:33

*blank*

lol

Just got to face the facts that ppl have other interests and hobbies or are not that good with pc's so avoid anything to do with them. I could talk about computers and games all day, but people at uni aren't into games the way I am so get bored within the first few seconds of the conversation. If E-sports was worldwide on the Tv I think that would certainly help. Since you can talk about popular sports with out problems unless you know nothing about the sports you are trying to talk about.