.:: Bots United ::.

.:: Bots United ::. (http://forums.bots-united.com/index.php)
-   Bug Reports (http://forums.bots-united.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Making Demos Of Your Bugs..... (http://forums.bots-united.com/showthread.php?t=2298)

SoUlFaThEr 16-07-2004 02:33

Making Demos Of Your Bugs.....

to decrease the amount of time it will take to fix a bug you find in this Bot, please make your demos of the bug on "standard" maps.

making a demo on cs_insertmapnamehere will cause the bug fixer to have to find and download the map and install it first........just so he can see your 10 second demo!

keep demos as short as possible :) (it's an attempt to keep our filebase clean)

thanks a lot guys....

KWo 16-07-2004 03:49

Re: Making Demos Of Your Bugs.....

Yes - it's good making demos. I do this since one month and I'm sending them directly to sPlOrYgOn to don't overload filebase. ;)And yes - standard maps are better, but sometimes it's impossible to show some problems - then of course - if only it's possible for me - I'm downloading the map, ask You guys about pwf and after try and eventually send all to sPlOrYgOn. But this latest way only if there isn't any solution (impossible show something on standard maps). Like these doors for example or light-switches.

BTW: Last time I had some problems with demo recording. I changed tools from ClanMod to AMX. AMX doesn't have build-in some easy menu to demo recording - I was used to it from CM - so I had some trouble to switch still between CM to AMX and back. And I don't like write in console manualy record filename. But now the problem is solved - I wrote some plugin to easy demo recording and this plugin it-self is making the name of the file like playername_mapname_current-number-of-demo-on-this-map. If somebody want this for his AMX - ask me on priva. Sorry for offtopic - but maybe it can also help somebody for creating demo files.

SoUlFaThEr 16-07-2004 04:12

i somehow see that if a problem is occuring on one map........then it might not be that important to change just yet until its found on many maps. some mappers dont know what they are doing fully and will map the stuff wierd, making it difficult for the bots, programmed to work on standard maps and their various normal and correctly done entity functions, so that they run on these maps as flawless as possible.

perfect example is ladder entities. ive seen some ladder entities from mappers who've sent me their maps to correct/fix.....and i noticed ladder entities with a thickness of 16 or even more units(thinking the player must be engulfed in the entity for it to work at all)....which ends up being our famous top-of-the-ladder bug. now if they were doing the ladder properly with a thickness of 3 or 4 units.......that problem/bug doesnt exist anymore.

thats more or less what i was getting at :)

and the thing about the buttons and how bots navigate them.....again.......buttons are all done different.......specaisl doors are the same......there are many ways to make them work and not all of them can be programmed into the bots understanding correctly. so if the bots are working properly on all the buttons in the standards maps.......and not well on some custom maps.......then its more the mappers fault for making a wierd button set up, or making something so special a bot cant possibly navigate it :)(like a simultaneous 2-man button pressing procedure to open one door)

azngeekguy 15-08-2005 04:15

where do we send the vid to?

KWo 15-08-2005 21:18

To filebase - precisly to this sub-cathegory:
POD-Botmm Demos & waypoint tests

It's good to make a demo on an official map - this way we are more able to look at it. Otherwise we need also map files and others (wads, sounds etc...). Wriet in description if Your demo has been created under CS1.5 or CS1.6

azngeekguy 16-08-2005 07:45

alright thanks ill check this out though when i need to make a demo ^!^