.:: Bots United ::.

.:: Bots United ::. (http://forums.bots-united.com/index.php)
-   GrogBot (http://forums.bots-united.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   PVK crashed before loading the game (http://forums.bots-united.com/showthread.php?t=3742)

Zeta 16-03-2005 15:30

PVK crashed before loading the game

Ok when I used Grogbot v1.1, PVK crashed even before loading the game (after selecting the maps and click create). Not only that, I also found out that PVK also crashed when using GrogBot v1.0.

I used to play with Grogbot normally without any problems. But it seems that I did something wrong here but I don't know what it is. Also when I use the install.bat thing, it says that syntax is incorrect. Anyone knows what this means?

Pierre-Marie Baty 16-03-2005 16:04

Re: PVK crashed before loading the game

One of your DLLs must be outdated. There is a patch in the filebase to make metamod compatible with PVK, if you're using metamod. I think someone should make a true all-in-one installer for Grogbot...

Akz 16-03-2005 16:44

I'd suggest you to reinstall pvk beta 2.31. Get it from http://www.pvkii.com if you don't have it for some reason. It comes with grogbot 1.0 preinstalled. Then, to use 1.1 on pvk 2.31, modify the "gamedll" section of your liblist.gam, which should be located in the pvk directory, to this:
Code:

gamedll addons/metamod/dlls/metamod.dll
Then follow the metamod version installation instructions in the readme.txt.

And PMB, the latest metamod officially supports pvk already (1.17.2 and up)

Zeta 17-03-2005 08:15

So does this means that I have to use Metamod in order to play with the bots? And yea I think there's something wrong with the DLLs but I don't use Metamod. When I changed it to the default DLLs (the hl.dll), PVK works fine. But when I use the grogbot dll, it crashed.

EDIT: GrogBot v1.1a works fine now with PVK 2.1. It's becasue I use Metamod. It seems that it only works only if you're using Metamod. But one problem though, when I use the grogbot_commandmenu to order the bots around, they only reply back by saying those 'Affirmative' or something similar. They didn't do what I told them to do.

For example, in pvk_castle, I order one of the bot to follow me, he only replied "I'll follow you till death" but it didn't follow me. It just stand there at the tower camping. This also happened when I order all the bots to do something. They just replied back without doing it.

Is it becasue you have to make them into your squad first then gives them the order?

Akz 17-03-2005 16:01

Goddamn, you're right. The non-metamod version isn't working. This is what happens when you try to rush a release. Seems like I've still have to make another patch, which won't be released before it's thoroughly tested by both windows/linux users. Once again it's time to get back to the old and messy GrogBot code, which is a pain to work with...

Zeta 18-03-2005 01:56

So the dll is not working, not only for 1.1 but also for 1.0. v0.9 works fine though. By the way, do you know anything about why the bots didn't follow or rush or defend when you ordered them to? I know this is the first follow, rush, defend features into this bot. Read my above post for more detailed problems.

Akz 18-03-2005 07:32

No, 1.0 should work just fine. If you tried installing 1.0 over 1.1, the dlls didn't get replaced. Delete the GrogBot folder first before trying to install it. I'm not sure why the commands wouldn't work. They work fine for me. Have you tried the commands more than once? And Ailean, I found out what's causing the buggy movement problem. I'll fix it and compile a new linux dll asap.

Zeta 18-03-2005 10:16

I installed v1.1 over v1.0 with Metamod and it works fine. I don't know, maybe 1.0 works fine too. I'll try to mess around with the bot command and see what will be the results. The bot only obey me once when I ordered them to follow me. Other times, they just replied without doing what I ordered them to.

Are there specific ways to make them obey the command like facing them while giving the orders or face at the direction you want the bot to rush. It seems weird because if you ordered them to rush, where would they go? Is it to the enemy base (which I assume it iis) or somewhere else?

I also found another small problem. It seems that when you used the addbot command manually to add specific bot with specific name, the bot didn't join the team that you expect them to be.

Say for example, addbot 3 3 Joe 90, this should add an archer to the knight's team with the name Joe and skill 90 right? But this isn't the case. The name and skill works the way it should be but not the team and class. They join different teams.

Sorry this is a long post but I like this bot and want to help it to be a better bot ;) .

Ailean 18-03-2005 11:14

Oh... I forget about GB for a few days, and look what happens ... more bugs ...

Having to dig trough ugly, old code... sucks!

Akz 18-03-2005 14:02

Seems like the addbot command isn't adding the bot to the right team if the name/skill is specified. In other words, addbot 3 3 works, but addbot 3 3 Akz 100 doesn't. Another bug to fix in 1.2. :(

The rush command only makes them to ignore enemies that are far away until they reach their goal (chest, base, whatever).

Oh, I'll add you both to the thanks list in the readme of the upcoming release. I really appreciate your help in this. :)