.:: Bots United ::.

.:: Bots United ::. (http://forums.bots-united.com/index.php)
-   Obsession Software Ltd. (http://forums.bots-united.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   My vision (http://forums.bots-united.com/showthread.php?t=5046)

Moddy 19-03-2006 14:46

My vision

I want to make a game. Not just any other CSS wannabe game though. I want to make a game that is inspirational, addictive and also challenging. I want top of the range graphics, gameplay and last but not least, FUN. I don't want to be plagued by cheaters, I also don't want to have too waste my lovely bandwith everytime I want to play.

I'm not the only one that wants this! I know loads of people that would play a game like this. So as of now, I am proposing a project that anyone who wants to can join. You dont need years of programming experiance! Aslong as you have atleast 1 skill which could be usefull then please help.

I'd be starting from scratch just using irrlicht (For graphics) and probably implement ODE for the physics. This means the game will be in C++, It will be licensed under the GNU General Public License. Afterall, If someone wants to improve our game why should we stop them? Closed source HINDERS development.

I need people with the following skills
  • C++ (Preferable Irrlicht and ODE experiance)
  • Graphics (Wether it be logos, banners, or ingame graphics - I need you)
  • Web-Design (We need a good website, with good features)
  • Map-Design (We want Maps that people will play! Not any old crap!)
  • Game-Design (Obvious!)
  • Sound stuff (We need a hell of a lot of sounds for the guns!)
  • Gamers (Made by Gamers, For Gamers!)
If you want to be part then post here. Re-post this on ANY forums you like just link back. Once we have enough people participating then we can start work.

First of all I think we should create a simple menu and have it so that this "game" can display a map, a crosshair, a gun and can "shoot" (sounds, and damage).

Then we move onto Implementing more maps, Then more advanced physics, More guns, More features.

I want YOU to give me the features you want. I'm loving the look (http://www.insurgencymod.net/index.php ) Insurgency Mod for HL2. It has a good forum where people ask for stuff, it has a good list of features and is my aim.

I want as much help as possible.

Thanks,
-Moddy

Moddy 19-03-2006 21:23

Re: My vision

I've just been writing up a few documents on coding "guidelines" for anyone who wants to help - there more tips. They don't have to be followed but it would be nice if they where becuase it would mean we could have a standard of code.

The advantages of using Irrlicht IMO are the fact it will allow us to use pre-defined Map types, therefore saving ALOT of time. We might just be able to get a Quake 3 Map editor (Gradient) to make alot of the maps.

I have read alot about what YOU want in a game. I liked alot of your ideas that have been suggested through-out this forum and would love to use some of them.

I want to create a "campaign" of Iraq. Insurgents are shown accurately as some of you have expressed a want for. It all starts in Kuwait when you are training - i.e using the ranges, doing assualt courses... Then it happens and you hear air-strikes and get involved in several firefights until War is ended.

Then you are left doing the job of a soldier AND a police officer - you are constantly at risk! When you most think you're going to come under attack... nothing happens. When you think your safe BANG! Something happens!

I hope to implement IED's and other less looked upon tactics that are in use.

If you shoot a civilian (Yes there will be lots of civilians) then they revolt! They fight and *if* you make it through the firefight, its game over anyway - You dont shoot civilians.

Sometimes there will be dawn raids, Sometimes there will be attacks if you choose training! (Afterall, you're in camp - a target), Sometimes there will be a team that are completely outnumbered but STILL fight on - Like happens now. Its totally un-predictable!

I have one person offering todo Logo's and other Graphics related tasks.

markblue777 19-03-2006 23:46

Hi man i would like to help you out you have me on you msn markdavies12341 at hotmail.com. just chat to me on there ok
regards
Mark

Moddy 20-03-2006 18:31

Ok, Ive just worked out a decent release schedule which would mean a fully function SP and MP FPS by November - not too hard either.

I've designed some maps on paper and wrote down some scenarios, I've decided what weapons we *need* and I've worked out the UI for the game.

mb: I've added you on MSN.

Moddy 25-03-2006 22:28

I've been busy messing about with various stuff recently. Designed some levels - just on paper atm though.

I have more ideas and storyline ideas! I'll start code soon, BUT I NEED MODELS FOR GUNS. Im hopeless with Blender. :(