.:: Bots United ::.

.:: Bots United ::. (http://forums.bots-united.com/index.php)
-   Half-Life 2, Source and Source Games (http://forums.bots-united.com/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   No CD Cracks = No Online Play? (http://forums.bots-united.com/showthread.php?t=3033)

MarD 22-11-2004 22:46

No CD Cracks = No Online Play?

Heyyo,

I bought HL2 retail, and it always asks me for my cd darnit! I wanna put on a no cd crack, but me bud told me that vavle's cracking down on any no cd crack users cancelling any of their online play... is this true? cause I like to preserve my cds cause my cdrom drive's cheap, and scratches cds up a lot...

@$3.1415rin 22-11-2004 22:51

Re: No CD Cracks = No Online Play?

well, the nice ppl over there at valve assume that you have a working cd/dvd drive, a broadband connection ( of course without traffic limitations, so they can upgrade whatever they want ) and whatnot, otherwise you're f u c k e d. well, nice, isnt it ?

I heard also about the crack which submits serials to valve ... nice idea I have to say, but somehow I dont see the reason why a singleplayer game should be played online :D

Nova 22-11-2004 22:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarD
Heyyo,

I bought HL2 retail, and it always asks me for my cd darnit! I wanna put on a no cd crack, but me bud told me that vavle's cracking down on any no cd crack users cancelling any of their online play... is this true? cause I like to preserve my cds cause my cdrom drive's cheap, and scratches cds up a lot...

Yep true. The exe hash is sent with auth, and accounts that have cracked versions on them are disabled. no only the cracked game, the whole account, so i wouldnt try it.

HangFire 22-11-2004 23:03

Thats a load of crap. I crack all my games, I hate CD shuffling. Its a waste of time, waste of space (cluttering my already cluttered desk) and it damages the CDs.

Valve might be able to make good games, but they are terrible when it comes to dealing with people.

Nova 22-11-2004 23:09

Well, buy the version over steam, no more cd shuffling.

stefanhendriks 22-11-2004 23:10

i have seen a working HL2 version without CD and without internet connection. It sort of simulates steam and it does not work on all pc's. Anyway, i'll just wait for the real thing (darn it, still 2.5 weeks to go) , i want my collectors edition.

Though, that does not mena i cannot play it, hehe, i play it at a friends house ;) Does it spoil things for me? Not exactly ;)

HangFire 22-11-2004 23:42

I already bought the retail of HL2, so its too late for that.

And yeah there are pirate versions of HL2 floating around that are free of Steam. Steam protection is tough, but like any system its defeatable.

Pierre-Marie Baty 23-11-2004 00:26

use a CDRom drive hw emulator ?
like VirtualCD...

MarD 23-11-2004 05:38

Heyyo,

Yeah, I guess I'll have to pull out alcohol 120% again n' do that, I do that with HaloPC cause I got lazy with patching, guess HL2 will be added to that collection too. :P

Whistler 23-11-2004 08:39

looks like I'm wise not to buy HL2 :D

"And yeah there are pirate versions of HL2..."
why do you consider cracking the software, just to make us more convience to use it, is something like robbing over the sea ? :D